There was a time long ago when I was a little girl (about 10-11 years old), Pak Long (mom's brother) brought my sisters and I to watch the clock in Bangunan Abdul Samad and together we countdown to midnight. This was on 30th August.
We found a place to sit in Dataran Merdeka on the big field and i remember pulling the grass roots because I thought it was synthetic (turned out it was genuine carpet grass.. ;P) and waited with the rest of Malaysians and tourists on the field for the clock to strike 12 (31st August). Pak Long being a man always well prepared, packed food for us while we relax and enjoy the moment. Once the clock strikes, 3 cheers of "Merdeka!" surrounded the whole town and I remembered shouting on the top of my lungs, being consumed with all the excitement.. And then, the fireworks started, with sparks flying in the sky, booming and dispersing in the air.
Till now, whenever it's Merdeka day, I will always be reminded of that exact moment of excitement and joy that I felt back then.
So...
Despite all that we're facing till today; the corruption, dirty politics, "he said, she said", crime and irresponsible actions (littering etc) by individuals that managed to make Malaysia known for all the wrong reasons, I still love my country.
Although I wish (and pray) we have better future leaders that will turn it all around... *praying hard*
Malaysia, oh tanahairku... Happy 55th Merdeka (independence) day! ;)
We found a place to sit in Dataran Merdeka on the big field and i remember pulling the grass roots because I thought it was synthetic (turned out it was genuine carpet grass.. ;P) and waited with the rest of Malaysians and tourists on the field for the clock to strike 12 (31st August). Pak Long being a man always well prepared, packed food for us while we relax and enjoy the moment. Once the clock strikes, 3 cheers of "Merdeka!" surrounded the whole town and I remembered shouting on the top of my lungs, being consumed with all the excitement.. And then, the fireworks started, with sparks flying in the sky, booming and dispersing in the air.
Till now, whenever it's Merdeka day, I will always be reminded of that exact moment of excitement and joy that I felt back then.
So...
Despite all that we're facing till today; the corruption, dirty politics, "he said, she said", crime and irresponsible actions (littering etc) by individuals that managed to make Malaysia known for all the wrong reasons, I still love my country.
Although I wish (and pray) we have better future leaders that will turn it all around... *praying hard*
Malaysia, oh tanahairku... Happy 55th Merdeka (independence) day! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment